Thursday, April 3, 2008

Blackbird

I've become a bit obsessed with this site: http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

I'm determined to improve my hearing abilities/recognition. I REALLY want to be able to appreciate music and be able to distinguish songs if at all possible? I seem to have very low auditory memory for music. This doesn't stop me from enjoying it, true, but as a general rule I really can't distinguish melodies and as a result it doesn't even play in as a factor for when I hear music. This isn't "normal" and I really want to attain a deeper appreciation of music. So, I've become addicted to this site!

Ian and I hung out and played around with listening to music a bit. Before we started dating, he made me mix CDS of "great music" and we sat in my mom's living room with the lights dimmed, so I could just LISTEN.

Ian mentioned that I didn't seem to be able to keep the beat of any songs, which frustrated me because I felt that when I didn't use hearing aids I could find the beat by feeling but now that I use hearing aids the sensation of the music and the SOUND mix and confuse me. So I can't pick out the beat easily, oddly. The ONLY song I could find the beat to was a recording of "Blackbird" by The Beatles. This was only because it has a metronome steadily playing in the background, which Ian oddly said he never noticed before until I pointed out there was some kind of steady beat. I lose it though when he starts singing.

Upon closer reflection I found it REALLY ironic that the ONLY song I can confidently find the beat to has lyrics that seriously inspire me (they're the Beatles, man!) but also really reflect how I feel about my whole journey towards hearing music (and everything else) better. I feel like I've been waiting so long and that this could potentially really be a significant difference in my life.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

No comments: